When can I start getting experience?

There are different opportunities available for those who are interested in a career path in working with individuals with disabilities. You could consider volunteering at one of the local organizations or you could seek various employment opportunities other than teaching. Some common employment options for those interested in this career field could be as a Registered Behavior Technician (RBT), a classroom educational assistant (paraeducator), or as a substitute teacher.

Local Organizations

Below is a list of organizations that welcome volunteers to assist in various events. In addition, employment opportunities may be available.


A+ After School


After School Allstars


Best Buddies Hawaii


HIDOE After School Programs

Other Employment Opportunities in the Hawai‘i Department of Education

Those looking for experience prior to pursuing teacher licensure may consider becoming paraprofessionals or substitute teachers.


Hawai‘i State Department of Education (HIDOE)

Those looking for experience in special education may be interested in becoming an educational assistant prior to teaching.


Substitute Teacher Certification Course

UH Mānoa has partnered with the Hawai‘i State Department of Education to offer the Substitute Teacher Certification course online.